On this full-day course you will learn:
Introduction to Pensions
- Why a pension scheme?
- Features of different types of pension arrangement
- Private Sector Defined Benefit
- Public Sector Defined Benefit
- Defined Contribution
- State Pension Scheme
What is Pension Flexibility and the effect on divorce?
- Annual allowance
- Lifetime allowance
- Pitfalls of accessing a pension to fund divorce
- Death benefits
First steps in approaching the pensions issue
Valuation of Pension Rights
- Cash Equivalents – what are these and are they correct to use for divorce?
- Alternative Valuations – when an alternative valuation to a Cash Equivalent may be appropriate
- Interpreting pension information
Methods of Settlement
- General features of the three methods of settlement: Offsetting, Pension Sharing Order and Attachment Order 8 apportionment for period of marriage
Consulting an Expert
- When to consult an expert
- Instructing an expert
The pension sharing process