Commercial leases are a particularly complex breed, frequently raising many difficult issues for property lawyers. If you are a commercial property solicitor or other practitioner dealing with commercial leases, and you’re looking to expand your expertise and client base, this course focuses on the more complex issues inherent in commercial leases.
This course assumes you already have a good foundational knowledge of basic lease and landlord and tenant issues. And if you already regularly advise clients on complicated leases, the course will prove a useful refresher and update on the latest law and procedure.
Our well known and respected commercial property experts, Peta Dollar and Sarah Thompson-Copsey, will guide you through the important topics – offering best practice tips to help you avoid the various traps for landlords and tenants.
Key learning outcomes
- Understand the tricky issues raised by guarantees
- How to approach landlords’ costs
- Appreciate options for open market review
- Deal effectively with terminal dilapidations
What does this course cover?
This course covers the critical issues that you will undoubtedly come across in practice, including:
- Tricky issues with guarantees: the rulings in EMI Group Ltd v O&H  EWHC 529; and TCG Pubs Ltd & another v The Art or Mystery of the Girdlers of London  EWHC 772
- Landlord’s costs: alienation, alterations, legal costs, AvonFreeholders Ltd v Garnier  UKUT 477
- Assumptions and disregards in open market rent review, and whether there is an alternative
- Advising whether to opt for expert or arbitrator determination
- Service charges
- Terminal dilapidations: supersession, assessing damages and the ruling in Car GiantLtd v Hammersmith and Fulham LBC  EWHC 197
This course builds on the foundation-level Certificate in Commercial Leases.