As a residential conveyancer, you will appreciate that no two property transactions are the same. Certain issues and problems routinely arise in practice and though you can resolve some of these easily, others are not so straightforward. A key skill is knowing how to identify and tackle the most problematic areas in residential conveyancing.
If you’re an experienced residential conveyancer, or a lawyer seeking to increase your understanding of dealing with complex problems, this is an advanced course intended to consolidate your practical knowledge to help you resolve these issues swiftly. How, for instance, should you deal with a boundary issue? What are the tax issues on the sale or purchase of a second property? How should you best approach a contract issue, or problems with post completion registration at Land Registry?
Our highly regarded residential conveyancing expert, David Keighley, will guide you through the key problems that you’re likely to come across in practice. You will benefit from practical guidance on the complex issues which can arise on a residential sale or purchase.
The course is designed to be flexible, so that you and other delegates can influence the areas covered.
Key learning outcomes
- Understand the major problem areas in residential sales and purchases
- Appreciate the financial issues in atypical transactions, e.g. taxation issues on second properties
- Know how to approach lenders’ requirements and identification issues
What does this course cover?
This course covers the key issues and tricky areas in residential conveyancing, including:
- Tricky covenants
- Risk areas, including lenders requirements and fraud
- Boundary problems
- Defective leases
- Defects in title
- When caveat emptor still applies
- Contract problems
- Deposit problems
- Limitations on NHBC cover
- SDLT on second properties
- Buy to let issues
- Apportionments and subsequent liabilities
- Completion day problems
- Land registration problems