Commercial leases frequently raise many difficult issues for property lawyers. If you are a commercial property solicitor or other practitioner dealing with commercial leases, and you’re looking to expand your expertise and client base, this course focuses on the more complex issues inherent in commercial leases.
This course assumes you already have a good fundamental knowledge of basic lease and landlord and tenant issues, and if you already regularly advise clients on complicated leases, the course will prove a useful refresher and update on the latest law and procedure.
Our well known and respected commercial property experts, Peta Dollar and Sarah Thompson-Copsey, will guide you through the important topics – offering best practice tips to help you avoid the various traps for landlords and tenants.
Key learning outcomes
- Understand the tricky issues raised by guarantees
- Open market rent review – understand the issues
- Understand the issues surrounding consent in leases
What does this course cover?
This course covers the critical issues that you will undoubtedly come across in practice, including:
- Tricky issues with guarantees: the rulings in EMI Group Ltd v O&H  EWHC 529; and TCG Pubs Ltd & another v The Art or Mystery of the Girdlers of London  EWHC 772
- Consent in leases: alterations, user, planning applications, alienation
- Assumptions and disregards in open market rent review
- Advising whether to opt for expert or arbitrator determination on rent review
- Insurance – uninsured risks, recent cases
- Tenant break options – the pitfalls
- Recent cases and developments, including MEES and the RICS statement on service charges
This course builds on the foundation-level Certificate in Commercial Leases.