Part 1 of this course runs for a half-day (3 hours) and provides an introduction to the basic legal elements of corporate secretarial practice. Taken with Part 2, it covers in outline the entire syllabus for ICSA’s CSQS exam in Corporate Secretarial Practice (normally a whole term’s work). It may be taken on its own, or in conjunction with Part 2, which is held on the same day.
The aim of Part 1 is to provide an understanding of the basic role and responsibilities of the company secretary, and to cover the principal topics in company law and compliance with which the company secretary may be concerned, but without all of the detail: in this way, the course can provide both a rewarding introduction to the legal framework on which the company secretary’s work is based and a useful reminder of some key parts of company law.
The topics covered in this introductory course will include:
- The company secretary – overall role and duties, and responsibilities in the area of company law and compliance
- An outline of the duties of directors and the rights and responsibilities of shareholders
- Setting up a company, and a company’s constitution
- The winding-up of a company, and the various procedures which may be followed
- Compliance and regulation (particularly for listed and quoted companies); Companies House disclosures
- Share capital: new issues, alterations of share capital (including purchases of own shares and redemptions), share registration, share transfers and transmission, dividends and employee share schemes
- Reporting to shareholders, including audit and the annual report; notices of meeting and other communications
- Law and practice relating to directors’ and shareholder meetings
This course will be of interest and benefit to all those starting out on careers as company secretaries, including those still contemplating or proposing such a career, lawyers wishing to familiarise themselves with or refresh their knowledge of company law, and accountants and other professionals (including registrars) concerned with the proper administration of a company.
As explained above, Part 1 is offered as a complement to Part 2, our half-day course on the governance role of the company secretary. Part 2 focuses on the company secretary’s role in supporting the board, the chair and individual directors (both non-executive and executive) and covers good practice concerning board procedures and board and shareholder relationships, as well as board and shareholder meetings. Further details may be found here. You may also be interested in attending: An Introduction to Company Secretarial Practice Part 2: The Corporate Governance Role which takes place at the same venue in the afternoon.